Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
BATON ROUGE - The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) received approval today from the federal Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) for additional ZIP codes in Pointe Coupee Parish that were impacted by recent floods to be added to the first phase of Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP).
Beginning today (Thursday, August 25), Pointe Coupee parish ZIP codes 70715, 70732, 70747, and 70753 may also apply for disaster food benefits.
The Pointe Coupee DSNAP site is located at the Pointe Coupee Multi-Use Facility, 1400 Major Parkway, in New Roads and is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
DCFS reminds residents who were impacted in the DSNAP approved areas for Phase One it's not too late to visit a DSNAP site if they missed their first scheduled alphabet day.
DSNAP locations for Phase One will be open until Saturday, August 27, and will continue to follow the staggered alphabet schedule of the first letter of their last name. Residents with last names starting with A-R visited sites on scheduled days earlier this week.
- Thursday, August 25: S-Z
- Friday, August 26: A-K
- Saturday, August 27: L-Z
The following DSNAP locations are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Saturday, August 27 (** denotes updated ZIP codes):
- East Feliciana Parish ZIP Codes 70722, 70730, 70748, 70761, 70777, and 70791:
- Early Learning Center, 9414 Hwy 67 (Plank Road), Clinton
- Iberia Parish ZIP Codes 70518, 70528, 70552, 70560, 70563, 70582, and 70592:
- South LA Community College, 908 Ember Dr., New Iberia
- Livingston Parish (all ZIP codes):
- Amvets Post 68, 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield
- Judson Baptist Church, 32470 Walker North, Walker
- Pointe Coupee Parish ZIP Codes 70715**, 70732**, 70747**, 70749, 70753**, 70755, 70756, 70757, 70760, 70762, and 70783:
- Pointe Coupee Multi-Use Facility, 1400 Major Parkway, New Roads
- St. Helena Parish (all ZIP codes):
- Greater Turner Chapel AME, 875 Turner Chapel Rd, Greensburg
- St. Landry Parish (all ZIP Codes):
- Southeast Community Center, 101 City Avenue, Eunice
- Yambilee Building, 1939 W Landry St., Opelousas
- Tangipahoa Parish (all ZIP Codes):
- Eagle Heights Community Church, 47318 Rufus Bankston Rd., Tickfaw
- Vermilion Parish (all ZIP Codes):
- First Baptist Church, 210 N. St. Charles, Abbeville
Residents are encouraged to pre-register for DSNAP online at www.dcfs.la.gov/preregister or by phone at 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578) before visiting a DSNAP location. Pre-registration is only the first step in DSNAP application. It helps expedite the time spent at a DSNAP site.
Accommodations will be made for the elderly and those with disabilities to reduce on-site wait times, but we strongly encourage these residents to name an Authorized Representative to visit a DSNAP site and complete an application on their behalf.
Authorized Representatives must bring a picture ID and the picture ID of the applicant/head of household they represent. They will also need a signed statement from the applicant/head of household or an adult household member authorizing them as a representative who can apply on their household's behalf.
DSNAP is only for eligible residents in designated areas who have been impacted by the flood, but who are NOT receiving SNAP benefits. SNAP recipients should NOT visit a DSNAP site.