Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
DSNAP Hurricane Laura
New DSNAP Schedule! Residents May Apply Any Day, Regardless of Last Name
Call Wait Times Minimal; Residents Encouraged to Apply
September 19, 2020 - Residents in all 21 parishes approved for Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) benefits may apply for benefits any day, today through Wednesday (Sept. 23), regardless of last name, following a change in the DSNAP application schedule.
After seeing minimal call wait times during the first few days of Phase 2, DCFS is suspending the alphabet system to allow residents more opportunity to apply.
Residents of the 21 approved parishes who have not yet called to apply and be interviewed for DSNAP benefits are encouraged to call the LAHelpU Customer Service Center at 1-888-524-3578 any day through Wednesday, Sept. 23.
- Sunday, Sept. 20
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday - Wednesday, Sept. 21-23
- 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Louisiana DCFS received approval to begin virtual DSNAP operations in parishes to provide additional food aid to families impacted by Hurricane Laura.
- Due to concerns related to the coronavirus pandemic, DSNAP applications will be handled by phone, and benefits cards will be mailed or sent through FedEx to approved applicants.
- During the DSNAP application process, applicants must provide documents and answer questions as part of an interview designed to determine eligibility.
- DSNAP will operate in the approved parishes in two phases. During each phase, applications must follow schedules based on the first letter of last names. If additional parishes are approved for IA and request DSNAP, DCFS may add a third phase.
- SNAP recipients are not eligible for DSNAP. If SNAP clients are eligible for additional benefits in the event of a disaster, those benefits would either be loaded onto their EBT cards automatically or the SNAP recipients would have to submit a form through a process other than the DSNAP. Click here for details about assistance for SNAP recipients.
|PRE-REGISTER ONLINE BEFORE YOU CALL TO APPLY AND BE INTERVIEWED|
The information provided during online pre-registration speeds up the phone application process. The pre-registration is simple and can be done through the DCFS CAFÉ customer portal.
The parishes that have been approved for IA and have requested DSNAP are:
- Jefferson Davis
- St. Landry